View from the choir

I am a Catholic layperson and Secular Franciscan with a sense of humor. After years in the back pew watching, I have moved into the choir. It's nice to see faces instead of the backs of heads. But I still maintain God has a sense of humor - and that we are created in God's image.

Thursday, April 01, 2010

Joseph of Arimathea: "Sun and Wind"

As part of my Catholic fiction efforts, in addition to writing I have been reading what others have written to be inspired, to learn, and, well, just because I like to read!

I just finished William Boardman's Sun and Wind: The Legend of Joseph of Arimathea. It's a fictionalized account of Joseph being forced to flee Palestine after burying Jesus. He settles in England, where, according to legend, he helped to spread Christianity.

I was interested in the story because I wanted to learn more about the legend. That curiosity helped to keep me reading the book despite its flaws.

The plot is passable, but not gripping, and at times seems contrived. The writing is inconsistent, and the handling of dialogue is frequently awkward. I got the impression that this may have originally been self-published - though I don't know that for a fact.

Hey, at least Mr. Boardman managed to finish writing his book! That's more than I can say about my own efforts.

The book is worth reading if you are interested in the subject or if you just enjoy reading books with Christian themes, but I can't recommend it as "literature".

Maybe someone else out there has read it and has a different take?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home