View from the choir

I am a Catholic layperson and Secular Franciscan with a sense of humor. After years in the back pew watching, I have moved into the choir. It's nice to see faces instead of the backs of heads. But I still maintain God has a sense of humor - and that we are created in God's image.

Sunday, March 21, 2010

Goodbye Dad

We buried Dad yesterday.

I think he would have appreciated the viewing on Friday, and yesterday's funeral.

For the viewing, daughters Clare and Bridget put together some wonderful collages celebrating Dad's life. They also did the readings at the funeral. My lovely wife took charge of the flowers and arranging for food of the gathering after the funeral, and did a great job. (I'm also grateful to the folks of the Stephen Ministry at at St. Columba's Church for setting up for the gathering, making coffee, and making sure the food got served.)

Some good friends of Dad came to send him off. Meanwhile, some of my friends, fellow Secular Franciscans, and my wife's coworkers came to lend their support. Uncle Jack and Linda made it in from Arizona. (Chris Brennan gets a special nod: He flew in from New Jersey to be with us.)

Deacon David delivered a heartfelt homily.

At the grave, two Navy representatives played taps - I teared up at that point - and conducted a flag ceremony for Dad, a Korean War veteran.

It was sad losing Dad. But he was not happy at the end, he was suffering, and he missed Mom terribly, so now I can take comfort that he passed away in his sleep and is now at peace. And I can remember our last moments together (just a few hours before he died) in a positive way, with him enjoying a strawberry milkshake I'd brought him, a little conversation, and even a couple of smiles from him.

Goodbye Dad. I will miss our Sunday visits and card games.

1 Comments:

Blogger A Bit of the Blarney said...

My sincerest sympathy in the loss of you Dad. My dad has been gone for many years and he is still missed. I know how much my mother misses him still! Wishing you well! Cathy

3:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home