View from the choir

I am a Catholic layperson and Secular Franciscan with a sense of humor. After years in the back pew watching, I have moved into the choir. It's nice to see faces instead of the backs of heads. But I still maintain God has a sense of humor - and that we are created in God's image.

Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Scooter


Yesterday, it was Maggie.

Today or tomorrow it will be Scooter.

Scooter was a stray my wife took in. He's about 16. His kidneys have been failing, his teeth giving out. At the last vet visit we were told we could try an expensive operation, but that the operation might not work, and he might even die during it.

Or we could let him go.

At his age, we opted for letting him go.

We almost took him in last week. But with my mother-in-law still in the hospital for a stroke, and with my wife leaving for a conference, we put it off. Since Scooter is my wife's, I left the decision to her.

Last night after I came home from voice camp, still thinking of Maggie, I noticed blood in Scooter's water dish. He's bleeding from his mouth. He hasn't been eating. He's stopped even lapping up milk. I spoke with my wife briefly last last night and told her what I thought. After I got off the phone, Scooter came out of the corner where he has been sleeping and hiding, jumped awkwardly up on the couch, and lay with his head on my lap for a few minutes. Then he went back to his corner. He's still bleeding.

I'm waiting for my wife to call at her lunch break. Do I take Scooter in this afternoon, or wait until she gets back? It's her call.

Whatever her decision, by Friday I will be petless for the first time since I was 10.

As for Scooter, he's a beautiful cat. When we first took him in my wife assumed he was a girl and called him Princess. Then we took him to the vet, who informed us Scooter was no princess.

Scooter did like to run around, so his name became obvious. He was the king of the house. If you sat down, your lap was his bed. The tables and counters were his pathways, no matter how much we tried to chase him off. He was forever trying to escape outside - I have scars on my arm from one time when I tried to stop him. In the morning, he would breath on my face to make sure I got up to feed him. Maggie, a gentle soul even though she was more than 7 times Scooter's weight, always deferred to him.

I guess in falling yesterday Maggie deferred to Scooter one final time.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Todd said...

Ack. What a horrible week for you, Lee. My prayers are for you. Tell Scooter to look for Splinter in the feline afterlife.

2:09 PM  
Blogger A Bit of the Blarney said...

Oh my goodness. This has got to be soooo hard for you all! Praying! Cathy

2:37 PM  
Blogger A Secular Franciscan said...

We took Scooter in this afternoon. Middle daughter, who was always close to him, came along. He got lot's of last minute rubbing and scritching.

3:03 PM  
Blogger In the choir loft said...

This has to be one of the most difficult and emotional weeks for you, Lee. How is your middle daughter handling it all? In fact, is the family taking it. My condolescences.

4:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

4:20 PM  
Blogger Rich Leonardi said...

My sympathy, Lee. My parents lost two cats within weeks of each other a half-dozen years ago. They had been family pets for over a dozen years. The cats' playmate, a cocker spaniel, died last month.

10:30 AM  
Anonymous Mary Kay said...

Ouch. What a difficult week. Losing a pet is hard. Sending sympathy to you and family.

1:15 PM  
Blogger EC Gefroh said...

So sorry for your family Lee.

3:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home