View from the choir

I am a Catholic layperson and Secular Franciscan with a sense of humor. After years in the back pew watching, I have moved into the choir. It's nice to see faces instead of the backs of heads. But I still maintain God has a sense of humor - and that we are created in God's image.

Monday, July 20, 2009

Secular Franciscan Profession Role

We held our annual Secular Franciscan picnic yesterday. The Good-Looking-One accompanied me. She has mentioned interest in the Secular Franciscans herself - but it's unclear if it's just talk, or she really is. I don't push it.

One topic of discussion was the profession next month. Marty, who coordinates things, asked if I would be willing to do the prayers of the faithful. I said I'd be happy to, jokingly adding, as long as they were canonically correct (they had been talking about what was the correct way to word such prayers).

A little later out of the blue he asked I I would take the pictures for the profession as well.

That was a surprise. I'm an adequate photographer, but never thought of myself as someone to take pictures of important events. I will do my best. I hope God will keep me in focus!

My own formation will begin in September. At the moment I'm still a class of one. Maybe some of my local readers would be interested?

2 Comments:

Blogger Barb Szyszkiewicz said...

I do know a husband-and-wife couple who went all through SFO formation together. Then the husband also went through permanent deacon formation! Just hinting at you!!!!

Will pray for you as you begin your formation. It's impressive that your wife at least expresses interest, because then she will "get it" when you explain some things and experience some things. My husband is not "anti-SFO" but there are things he clearly does not "get" (like the whole being a small part of a very large, worldwide Order with canonical rules to follow, and such. To him, it's my monthly Prayer Group.)

6:01 PM  
Blogger A Secular Franciscan said...

Alas, the permanent diaconate is closed to me for now. I started the process, but encountered an impediment that would have required appealing to Rome - and I was not willing to go that far.

It did free me to commit more to church music, and to the Secular Franciscans, so God opens doors when others close.

9:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home