View from the choir

I am a Catholic layperson and Secular Franciscan with a sense of humor. After years in the back pew watching, I have moved into the choir. It's nice to see faces instead of the backs of heads. But I still maintain God has a sense of humor - and that we are created in God's image.

Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Maggie: 1994-2009

I had to take Maggie to the vet's today. She fell, and could not get up.

I rescued her from the City Pound back in 1995. She was already about a year old; that makes her 15. Not bad for a dog her size (75 lbs in her prime).

She had hip dysplasia - common in Shepherds - so we knew it was coming soon. The last few months she was falling a lot, but always managed to get back up or to be able to stand after a little help. Not today.

Just before she fell, I'd brushed her, trimmed a couple of her nails, and let her finish off some ice cream. Our last moments together before the fall were good.

I will miss her.

8 Comments:

Blogger Patti-n-Mike said...

So sorry for your loss, Lee. Pets are such important parts of the family.

5:52 PM  
Blogger In the choir loft said...

Lee - I'm sorry to hear about Maggie. Dogs are such good and faithful pets. I'm sure you have many fond memories of her. Dogs are semper fi!!

6:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm sorry for your loss. I had to my dog to sleep two years ago and it still hurts.

7:04 PM  
Blogger Ben Anderson said...

I'm so sorry, Lee. It's always tough to lose a close animal friend, especially one that's been w/ you for so long.

8:06 PM  
Anonymous Mary Kay said...

I'm sorry to hear about Maggie. As expected as it is, it's never easy.

10:48 PM  
Blogger A Bit of the Blarney said...

My heart goes out to you! About a year ago our "Duke" had to be put to sleep after 14 years with us. He was such a good dog! Cathy

7:31 AM  
Blogger A Secular Franciscan said...

Thank you for all your kind thoughts.

10:23 AM  
Blogger EC Gefroh said...

Lee, I am very sorry about your pets.

8:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home