View from the choir

I am a Catholic layperson and Secular Franciscan with a sense of humor. After years in the back pew watching, I have moved into the choir. It's nice to see faces instead of the backs of heads. But I still maintain God has a sense of humor - and that we are created in God's image.

Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Vocal camp notes

I attended my first session at the Diocesan vocal camp last night. I attended a session on vocal health - with my allergies and asthma, always an issue - and with a vocal trainer.

Among the things I learned:

Coffee, and other caffeinated beverages, are bad for your voice. (I'm an 8-10 cup a day coffee drinker and regualrly slurp down diet cola!)

Cough drops are not good for your voice either.

Coughing and clearing your throat repeatedly damage your vocal chords (see note on allergies above!)

Good things to do:

Drink luke warm water when singing.

Breathe steam (careful not to burn!), and it's a good idea to do so before you sing.

Hard candies rather than cough drops to help keep throat lubricated.

And from my vocal coach:

Smile when I sing, especially on joyful songs.

Be clearer on my consonants. Make my d's sound like d's and not t's.

More tonight. A workshop on warm ups and exercises.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Bernie said...

8-10 cups a day. Wow! I love my coffee but I'm no way near that many. You must spend most of your time up on the roof.
Anyway, have fun and study hard.

9:58 AM  
Blogger In the choir loft said...

"Hard candies rather than cough drops to help keep throat lubricated" but I thought eating candy (hard or otherwise) would create phlegm which is not good when you sing. Can you enlighten me?

5:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home