View from the choir

I am a Catholic layperson and Secular Franciscan with a sense of humor. After years in the back pew watching, I have moved into the choir. It's nice to see faces instead of the backs of heads. But I still maintain God has a sense of humor - and that we are created in God's image.

Sunday, July 13, 2008

Out of death, life

It is terrible that some parishes are closing in the Diocese of Rochester. Many people are mourning.

But out of those deaths we can see life. We are witnessing that at our parish.

We held a coffee hour to greet new parishioners. Father noted that we'd added a number of them in recent weeks.

My wife and I went. We talked to several new people. They were coming from parishes that had closed. They were joining St. Theodore's.

Our parish is indeed growing. I looked back at the collections for the past few weeks, and even though summer is traditionally a time for dropping contributions and attendance, the numbers were all healthy.

I think it was great that we were reaching out to these new people. We need more of that.

Father Pacwa's talk this Friday night should also help to draw people to the parish - if not to become members, at least to know that it is there and to appreciate what it offers.

Meanwhile, in two weeks Rock of Faith will play, giving people a taste of the music we have at St. Theodore's. Practice is tomorrow night. I haven't completed my new song - but the other one that I wrote for the group will be played at the July 27 Mass.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home