View from the choir

I am a Catholic layperson and Secular Franciscan with a sense of humor. After years in the back pew watching, I have moved into the choir. It's nice to see faces instead of the backs of heads. But I still maintain God has a sense of humor - and that we are created in God's image.

Saturday, June 28, 2008

Updates

Another 696 words today on the novel - more than 2,600 since I restarted it. I am taking the week off next week for the Lake Placid trip with the Good Looking One, so I'm trying to get a jump on it. I will be bringing a notebook and will will be jotting ideas.

I'm feeling optimistic about that 18,000 goal for the summer (to bring the novel to 35,000). I've even introduced two new characters I hadn't thought of before - a "true believer" disciple of Staples who will help provide a faith input, and a cynical spy working for the bad boys.

I also have to take that Cambridge History class (online) in prep for the next school year, write a new play, and write that article for the Gates Historical Society.

The class is for teachers to prep them for teaching the advanced level history classes we are introducing.

The play has to be more factual/historical that previous plays I've written for the school. The home church/school wants less humor, less silliness in school productions in keeping with their beliefs. Since I work for them, I must go along. I will still try to get humor in - but more facts as well. The last paly, The Cure, was a hit. My Robin Hood still is the biggest hit, though.

Currently I'm doing some research on Hershey (of Hershey Candy) who created his business, but was a social idealist. A play about his decision to start his business after some failures?

Another possibility is something about the Underground Railroad, as we were one of the major routes here in Rochester.

The article is about the history of Presidential campaigns visiting Rochester - the next issue of the Historical Society newsletter is in the fall, so that topic fits. Carter was the last one to campaign here. Truman, FDR, and Garfield also campaigned here. Teddy did when he was running for VP. We also had some non-campaign visits by Bush II, Nixon and Taft that I've found so far.

A busy summer ahead.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home