View from the choir

I am a Catholic layperson and Secular Franciscan with a sense of humor. After years in the back pew watching, I have moved into the choir. It's nice to see faces instead of the backs of heads. But I still maintain God has a sense of humor - and that we are created in God's image.

Tuesday, June 17, 2008

A biography that revealed much


I love to read biographies. Sometimes, I come away from them admiring or at least appreciating the subjects even more.
Sometimes, though, I learn too much, and the persona is torn away.
I just read I biography of Shel Silverstein that falls into the latter category.
A Boy Named Shel by Lisa Rogak reveals the kind of person Silverstein was. Words like selfish, self-centered, difficult, womanizer, troubled, irresponsible, and immature come to mind. Artists reputedly tend to be like that to some degree - even ones who are grounded in faith - but he was excessive about it.
Yeah, he wrote some great children's books. And some of his songs - "A Boy Named Sue," for one - are classics.
But he is no role model or inspiration. I certainly like him less after reading the book.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for writing this.

6:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home