View from the choir

I am a Catholic layperson and Secular Franciscan with a sense of humor. After years in the back pew watching, I have moved into the choir. It's nice to see faces instead of the backs of heads. But I still maintain God has a sense of humor - and that we are created in God's image.

Saturday, June 23, 2007

Baseball

I love baseball. I'm one of those folks who poures over the box scores, searching out favorite players. I even have a couple of fantasy teams.

I do have favorite teams. I was born in Boston, so naturally the Red Sox is one of them - I consider them my American League team.

Back in the late 60s when I was growing up in Geneva, we got one of the earliest forms of cable, and one of the channels was out of New York City - WOR? - and carried the Mets games. I got hooked just in time for the 1969 World Series. So the Mets are my National League team.

Red Sox/Mets - 1986 was heaven (though I still feel bad for Buckner).

Those being my teams, I naturally have a team that I wish the worst for - the Yankees.

I root for anyone playing against them.

Maybe that's why as a Civil War buff I have a fondness for the South - get them Yankees!

Anyway, this Saturday morning, I look at the standings:

Boston 46-25 - .648 - First Place in their division
Mets 38-32 - .543 - First Place in their division
Yankees 35-35 - .500 - Second Place in their division

How about another Red Sox/Mets World Series?

Ahh.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home