View from the choir

I am a Catholic layperson and Secular Franciscan with a sense of humor. After years in the back pew watching, I have moved into the choir. It's nice to see faces instead of the backs of heads. But I still maintain God has a sense of humor - and that we are created in God's image.

Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Spiritual director meeting

Interesting.

I met with the possible spiritual director today.

After listening to me and asking a few questions, she concluded in essence that I’ve been so busy taking care of everyone else for the last 20 years that I basically have had and continue to have no time for a spiritual life.

She also said that it’s obvious I have a lot of hurt and anger bottled up that interferes with spiritual growth. (She does counseling as well.)

No quite what I expected to hear, but I did say I need someone to give me a good kick.

Ironically, we had to hurry the session because my wife’s car has a coolant leak so she is “terrified” of driving it. She knew I had the appointment, but still demanded that I get home in time to get her to work.

The spiritual director suggested that I need to just tell all these people depending on me "No" once in a while if I'm going to make time for spirituality - or even my own mental health!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home