View from the choir

I am a Catholic layperson and Secular Franciscan with a sense of humor. After years in the back pew watching, I have moved into the choir. It's nice to see faces instead of the backs of heads. But I still maintain God has a sense of humor - and that we are created in God's image.

Wednesday, June 20, 2007

More on spiritual director

One thing that really saddened me was when she asked me to think of one moment in the last week when I felt genuinely happy and sensed God.

I could think of nothing.

Every time a happy event popped in my head, what I remembered of it was that my mind was constanlty on what I had to do next - pick someone up, write a blog entry, get to a meeting, visit my dad, and so on.

I could savor none of the moments.

So she gave me as an exercise keeping a journal. Each night I have to record at least three things that happened that day for which I'm grateful.

The ultimate goal is to discover God in all those joyful things I'm too busy or distracted to see.

She also thought my plan to get a bike was a good idea. Exercise, a chance to get in nature, and a chance to get out on my own.

So I did. Today.

Tally ho!

4 Comments:

Blogger A Secular Franciscan said...

Okay. I went for a bike ride. After some 28 years of not riding, 15 minutes was about my limit.

Phew!

Can't wait to see what I feel like in the morning - but I will ride again.

3:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad to hear you got the bike dad. :) I hope you don't ache too much! *hug*

10:46 PM  
Blogger A Secular Franciscan said...

Not too bad. I appreciate the hug.

7:12 AM  
Blogger A Secular Franciscan said...

Out for 20 minutes today.

5:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home