View from the choir

I am a Catholic layperson and Secular Franciscan with a sense of humor. After years in the back pew watching, I have moved into the choir. It's nice to see faces instead of the backs of heads. But I still maintain God has a sense of humor - and that we are created in God's image.

Saturday, June 09, 2007

Dad

Dad is in the hospital.

He was taken there Thursday with a bowel obstruction.

They found an abscess, and have since drained it.

We are waiting for test results to determine what bacteria is involved.

We are also waiting to find out if any further procedures are needed - such as surgery.

At his age and condition, that could be risky.

He's not very happy with that tube down his nose and into his stomach. He can't eat or drink until the abscess heals.

I sat at his bedside in the emergency room telling bad doctor jokes.

That got a few smiles out of him.

I was at the same hospital so many times with Nana the faces are familiar.

The situation doesn't sound too serious - yet. Hopefully it was just a flare-up.

I'm concerned that if he stays for any length of time, though, he will have to go to a rehab facility before he can get back to his senior living facility. I've had too many bad experiences with rehab places over the last few years with Dad and Nana. I sicced the state on one last year with Nana.

And in the back of my mind is another worry: Mom's illness two years ago is what halted the deacon process then.

Oh well, family comes first.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home