View from the choir

I am a Catholic layperson and Secular Franciscan with a sense of humor. After years in the back pew watching, I have moved into the choir. It's nice to see faces instead of the backs of heads. But I still maintain God has a sense of humor - and that we are created in God's image.

Sunday, May 06, 2007

Scotland the Brave

The good looking one rented a couple of DVDs we hadn't seen.
One was The Queen.
Watching it made me think of ... Scotland. (Part of the movie was set in Balmoral Castle in Scotland).
It helped that the other movie was The Last King of Scotland!

My mother was a Scottish immigrant. (My dad was a dashing American sailor who stopped in Greenock - near Glasgow - and charmed a certain lass.)

My two red-headed daughters betray my roots. And my non red-headed daughter is currently studying in Scotland.
My mother may have been partly Irish, but she was definitely Scottish. Dad was Irish and Dutch/German.

I've been watching with interest the election in Scotland. Although results are muddled (counting problems, computer glitches - is Florida now part of Scotland?), the Scottish National Party has one more seat now than the Labour Party - a first. The SNP has been pushing for a vote on an independent Scotland perhaps as early as 2010. I might live to see that.

Go Scotland!


So those are my roots. I even like bagpipes. I would love to visit Scotland. And my wife wants to see me in kilts.

As for the movies: Good acting. (Last King might not be to every taste, though.)

Too bad Sean Connery wasn't in either of them!

1 Comments:

Blogger A Secular Franciscan said...

*National Symbol of Scotland*

I think I know why the Scots chose the thistle. Picture with me if you
will two gardeners somewhere in the Highlands.....

Gardener 1: Ach! Bu..er all!
Gardener 2: What's the matter Alistair?
Alistair: It's these blasted thistles. I can't get the whole thing out.
How 'bout you Dougie?
Dougie: Aye. It's the same wi' me. Hey Alistair I've a grand idea! Let's
tell everyone they're our national symbol! Then we won't have to pull
them up.
Alistair: Are ye daft? Who would believe we'd pick these wretched things
as our national symbol?
Dougie: It's worth a shot don't you think?

The faint sound of bagpipes wafts through the air....

5:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home