View from the choir

I am a Catholic layperson and Secular Franciscan with a sense of humor. After years in the back pew watching, I have moved into the choir. It's nice to see faces instead of the backs of heads. But I still maintain God has a sense of humor - and that we are created in God's image.

Friday, May 04, 2007

Seeking a spiritual advisor

I've always said that the exploration of the diaconate, no matter what the outcome, was part of my own thirst for spiritual growth.

I am a weak man, and I need "requirements" to spur me on. As a writer, I need deadlines. As a storyteller and musician, I need upcoming gigs. As one who has felt some sort of a call, I need the goal of the diaconate to help focus my spiritual life.

Today I began seeking a spiritual "requirement" to go along with the diaconate: I asked a priest to be my spiritual advisor.

I have long felt the need for someone to help guide me and to keep me on track. I actually asked one priest a number of years ago, but it did not pan out.

The priest I called today is one I have known and admired for years.

Alas, he was not in. I left a message, asking if we could talk about the possibility.

He could say no. That is his right. He may not have the time, or feel that he is the right person. I'll respect that.

And we could meet and it might not be a good fit.

So be it.

But as with so much going on surrounding the diaconate and my spiritual life, I feel the need to act, and not just dream about it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home