View from the choir

I am a Catholic layperson and Secular Franciscan with a sense of humor. After years in the back pew watching, I have moved into the choir. It's nice to see faces instead of the backs of heads. But I still maintain God has a sense of humor - and that we are created in God's image.

Saturday, April 21, 2007

Sharing in Sin

While researching something in the Catechism of the Catholic Church, I stumbled across the following:

1868 Sin is a personal act. Moreover, we have a responsibility for the sins committed by others when we cooperate in them:

- by participating directly and voluntarily in them;
- by ordering, advising, praising, or approving them;
- by not disclosing or not hindering them when we have an obligation to do so;
- by protecting evil-doers.

1869 Thus sin makes men accomplices of one another and causes concupiscense, violence, and injustice to reign among them. Sin gives rise to social situations and institutions that are contrary to the divine goodness. ...

We all have to look at how this applies to us and how we are complicit in the sins of our society. I know I need to do so.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home