View from the choir

I am a Catholic layperson and Secular Franciscan with a sense of humor. After years in the back pew watching, I have moved into the choir. It's nice to see faces instead of the backs of heads. But I still maintain God has a sense of humor - and that we are created in God's image.

Sunday, May 01, 2011

Prayers and More Prayers

I went to Catholic schools for 12 years. I was an altar boy. I took theology courses. I was part of campus ministry (as a musician). I even spent a year in a college seminary.

And all along that way, I didn't learn a lot of prayers.

Oh, I knew the basics. Our Father. Hail Mary. Glory Be. Apostles Creed. Act of Contrition. Grace Before Meals.

But that was about it.

I didn't know how to say the Rosary. I didn't know some of the the other prayers associated with it (other than the basic four). I didn't know the Mysteries.

I didn't know the Memorare. Or the Hail Holy Queen.

I didn't know the St. Michael Prayer.

I didn't know how to say the Divine Mercy Chaplet or any of the prayers associated with it.

My most embarrassing moment came when I was in the college seminary. I went to a local church for confession. After years of going to communal services with printed booklets/sheets I blanked and couldn't remember the Act of Contrition (which I did know at one point). The priest prompted me, but when I admitted I couldn't remember he tossed me out of the confessional (not really sensitive pastorally!).

And in recent years when I pray with other people I find myself mumbling the prayers I only half know.

I've learned some of the prayers, but I need to learn more.

One at a time, I'm learning them.

And in the learning, I'm praying. A double benefit!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home