View from the choir

I am a Catholic layperson and Secular Franciscan with a sense of humor. After years in the back pew watching, I have moved into the choir. It's nice to see faces instead of the backs of heads. But I still maintain God has a sense of humor - and that we are created in God's image.

Saturday, April 30, 2011

My "Republican" Survey

I just mailed in one of those surveys from the Republican National Committee.

I keep getting such surveys from Republican groups, even though I was only registered with that party briefly to work for the Huckabee campaign back in 2008. Immediately after that election I registered with the Right to Life Party, which means in New York I'm listed as a "Blank" (not a member of an officially recognized party).

I generally find all such surveys - no matter from which party they come - are worded in ways to gain the answers THEY want. And what they really want is for you to donate money.

I don't think the GOP will be happy with my responses to this one - if they actually read them.

I noted that I'm not happy with either party, and that I'm distressed with the Republicans for paying lip service to social issues but neglecting them for economic ones. (My own Republican Congressman is basically pro-choice.)

The extremist laissez-faire libertarian policies the GOP advocates today has failed time after time in the past, and will do so again in the future.

I wrote comments in the margins. I also did not send money.

Maybe someone will notice. I'm not holding my breath.

As for my party enrollment, if Huckabee decides to run I'll register with the Republicans so I can work for him. At this point, he'd be the only thing that could make me join them.

Otherwise, when either party comes looking for my support they'll just get a "blank" stare.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home