View from the choir

I am a Catholic layperson and Secular Franciscan with a sense of humor. After years in the back pew watching, I have moved into the choir. It's nice to see faces instead of the backs of heads. But I still maintain God has a sense of humor - and that we are created in God's image.

Saturday, January 08, 2011

Congresswoman Shot, then Attacked in Print

I came home to find out Congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords of Arizona and a number of other people had been shot today at a public event, and that at least six people were dead.

I went searching for more information about this terrible tragedy. I went to several sites for updates, then went to a conservative Catholic news site, where I found the following headline:

Pro-Abort Congresswomen (D) Shot In The Head

Who cares at this point whether she votes for abortion: The poor woman has been shot. Pray for her. Pray for the other victims. Pray for the shooter.

Act like a Catholic. Act like a Christian. Act like a real pro-lifer.

Not like someone blinded by hatred.

I was disgusted. Such headlines give conservative Catholics and pro-lifers a bad name.

In addition to praying for the people involved in this shooting incident, I am praying for the people behind that news site.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Richard said...

Apparently, "right to life" doesn't extend to those who are not Catholics (Ms. Gifford is Jewish), nor those conservatives (Ms. Gifford is a "blue dog" Democrat) who wish to uphold the Constitution of the United States and do not believe in the balance of powers and the duty of the courts to interpret the law. Let us also remember Judge JOhn Roll was murdered, and several others, including a nine-year old child. I guess the "right to life" didn't apply to them, either.

You're right not to defend these people, Lee... they are not "right to lifers" but apologists for terrorism.

10:36 PM  
Blogger Ben Anderson said...

"You're right not to defend these people, Lee... they are not "right to lifers" but apologists for terrorism."

wow - Richard! I don't think anyone was agreeing with the shooting of innocent persons. I agree that the headlines shouldn't have included her pro-abort status, but that's a far cry from condoning the shootings. Try to keep things in perspective.

8:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home