View from the choir

I am a Catholic layperson and Secular Franciscan with a sense of humor. After years in the back pew watching, I have moved into the choir. It's nice to see faces instead of the backs of heads. But I still maintain God has a sense of humor - and that we are created in God's image.

Monday, February 08, 2010

Rock of Faith musical selections

For those who like to grumble that Rock of Faith is playing secular or irreverent music, all of the hymns are from Spirit and Song, and have been published with the approval of the National Conference of Catholic Bishops' Committee on the Liturgy.

In other words, we are playing music that has been approved for church use.

1 Comments:

Blogger Matt said...

Lee,

I personally love a lot of the spirit and song music. I listen to it on CD, it's great. I especially like Matt Maher--his music is VERY theological (most of the time) So, I don't say that it's necessarily "secular" or "irreverant." I just prefer plainchant and renaissance polyphony.

The trouble lies herein: too often, when rock music is played at Mass, it becomes about pleasing ME and WE instead of about pleasing God. It becomes a concert, or a performance. It's the only danger.

But then again, one can argue against Mozart for the same reason! Of course, the argument continues, as Mozart is intrinsically more beautiful than any guitar chords or drum solo.

just some thoughts...I'm far more against the music I hear in most parishes from the 60s and 70s and those of similar mindset theologically. (Haugen, Haas, St louis Jesuits) and some like, stolen songs (Lord of the Dance) because they AREN'T theological. They aren't prayers. They're about making us feel happy and appealing to emotions. So if every parish replaced "on eagles wings" with "the end and the beginning" by Matt Maher, I think it'd be a very very very positive change.

9:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home