View from the choir

I am a Catholic layperson and Secular Franciscan with a sense of humor. After years in the back pew watching, I have moved into the choir. It's nice to see faces instead of the backs of heads. But I still maintain God has a sense of humor - and that we are created in God's image.

Saturday, January 30, 2010

Writing that novel

I reflected on my horror novel, and have thought of a couple of ways to bring it more in line with my beliefs. In its current state, it's too graphic (yet not as graphic as many horror novels are these days).

So, I will continue it - with revisions and some material cut. Roughly 35,000 words in (though some of them will be cut, so drop that to about 34,000?). Another 40-60,000 to go?

I can only write briefly and intermittently during the school year - perhaps 500 words a week rather than 500 a day? - but then can spend time in the summer. In 2008 I wrote about 18,000 words over the summer. A reasonable goal this year?

I think one thing I want to do is to finish it so it's not hanging out there. If it's lousy, so be it. The writing practice alone would be worth it. Then I can move on, and perhaps be a better writer for it.

Have at you demons!

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger A Secular Franciscan said...

300 words to start this morning!

9:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home