View from the choir

I am a Catholic layperson and Secular Franciscan with a sense of humor. After years in the back pew watching, I have moved into the choir. It's nice to see faces instead of the backs of heads. But I still maintain God has a sense of humor - and that we are created in God's image.

Sunday, January 31, 2010

Group Youth Gathering - Rock of Faith

Our parish hosted a youth night for the parishes of the Gates/Chili Planning Group. Teens from five parishes were there for the 4:30 Mass - along with many of the 4:30 regulars. A packed church. It was interesting actually seeing people standing along the walls - I haven't seen that since the Corpus Christi days (pre-schism).

Rock of Faith was asked to lead the music. Since our young guitarist left, I'm the lone guitarist. And our keyboard player, Bernie, was out of town. So I was the main melody instrument (accompanied by bass, drums, and occasional lead guitar/saxophone/flute). Moreover, with the new sound system, the guitar could really be heard.

I was nervous. I prefer to hang back, to let better musicians stand out. And last night I could hear every miscue on my part.

Still, overall it seemed to go well. But I was not out in the pews to really hear.

People were singing along - I could see that. And there was lots of smiling. My wife reported some of the older folks (the regular 4:30 crowd) around her seemed to like the music.

Plus, people could see Father Steve CELEBRATE - and not just mouth/rush through - the Mass. When he consecrates you get the sense that it is a profound spiritual moment, not just something he's reading or reciting by rote.

It was a joyful service. Perhaps that will help some young people to see the beauty of the Mass.

Next week, Bernie is back. Phew.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home