View from the choir

I am a Catholic layperson and Secular Franciscan with a sense of humor. After years in the back pew watching, I have moved into the choir. It's nice to see faces instead of the backs of heads. But I still maintain God has a sense of humor - and that we are created in God's image.

Saturday, January 23, 2010

Where can I get a bottle?

I love hot sauce.

I put it on everything I can. Pizza. Rice. Veggies. Popcorn.

So an article about some hot-sauce imbibing youths caught my eye.

Some German teens drank some chili sauce more than 200 times hotter than normal Tabasco

The Augsburg youths - ages 13 and 14 - took part in a "test of courage." They subsequently felt sick, and 8 of the 10 who took part were taken to the hospital and had to stay overnight.

The sauce the teens ingested measured 535,000 units on the Scoville scale. That's the scale that determines hotness in chili peppers. Good old Tabasco sauce (yes, there's a bottle of that in my fridge) measures 2,500.

So what did they consume? I'd like to know the brand. A dash or two on some chips? Mmm.

Yeah, I know this is kind of a guy thing. When I was young and stupid in college, I was noted for eating hot food. People used to bring hot peppers to challenge my tongue and palate.

I never lost.

Of course, they may never have given me some of the truly hot, mind-numbing peppers that were out there. And I never drank hot sauce. Well, except for an occasional sip.

Mmmm.

4 Comments:

Blogger Lora said...

Mmmmm, yes. It's not necessarily a guy thing though--I do the same thing. My boss called me a "rock star" when I ate the hottest sauce at the restaurant we went to yesterday. lol. I'll take it.

11:51 AM  
Anonymous Carol said...

Well, my relatively unchallenged neighbourhood endurance title was (is?) for eating fresh rhubarb without making a sour face (but only because anything that happened from the neck down didn't count--and trust me, Klem Kadiddlehopper happened from the neck down). Needless to say, Lee, I am impressed!

4:24 PM  
Blogger Clare said...

Not a guy thing dad! Do you not remember how much hot sauce I used growing up?! Hot sauce is by far the best popcorn topping.

6:21 PM  
Blogger Mike Shea said...

Habanero peppers can run anywhere from 100 to 350k on the Scoville scale, according to Wikipedia.

All I know is that they're plenty hot enough for me, at least the ones that Melinda's brand uses in their XXX version (available at Wegmans).

The Wikipedia article lists peppers scoring up to 1M on Scoville, with extracts reaching 15M. (Ouch!)

2:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home