View from the choir

I am a Catholic layperson and Secular Franciscan with a sense of humor. After years in the back pew watching, I have moved into the choir. It's nice to see faces instead of the backs of heads. But I still maintain God has a sense of humor - and that we are created in God's image.

Saturday, October 03, 2009

A Night of St. Therese


It being two days after the Feast of St. Therese, and both being tired from long weeks, I suggested last night that the Good-Looking-One and I watch Therese - Leonardo Defilippis' movie about St. Therese of Lisieux.

I was in the right mood for it last night, so I enjoyed it even though it is not one of my favorite hagiographies. It's a flawed movie - the definitive English movie about her life has yet to be made - but a sincere effort. I wish it had done more to explore her spirituality. I've heard that Cavalier's 1986 French film does more of that, but I haven't seen that one.

St. Therese is one of those saints I've always had a hard time getting a handle on. (Certainly not her fault! More likely a blind spot in my own spiritual character.) But so many people I respect have praised her and her Little Way that I keep coming back to her.

Ah, but tonight is the Transitus of St. Francis. After a visit to Planned Parenthood this morning to pray for an end to abortion, then an afternoon at the Hilton Apple Fest with the Good-Looking-One, maybe viewing one of the Francis films we own tonight? Hmm - which one?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home