View from the choir

I am a Catholic layperson and Secular Franciscan with a sense of humor. After years in the back pew watching, I have moved into the choir. It's nice to see faces instead of the backs of heads. But I still maintain God has a sense of humor - and that we are created in God's image.

Thursday, October 01, 2009

Admitting my ignorance

I'm in the midst of the first "Period of Inquiry" session of my Secular Franciscan program (I was assigned two sessions to complete by October 9).

There are 8 pages of reading, then some required and recommended reading from other sources. I had or could easily find most of the works involved - selections from the SFO General Constitution, the SFO Rule, Lumen Gentium, Catechism of the Catholic Church, and Pope John Paul's Crossing the Threshold of Hope (See honey, I can tell my wife as she stares and my shelves of books, I told you they would come in handy some day!). I don't have Pope Paul VI's The Credo of the People of God. Have to look that one up on line.

At the end of the first session, there are some reflection questions. The first four are along the lines of "What does it mean to be 'called to holiness' ... "What does it mean to you to be a 'Christian.'"

Okay, I could go on about those.

But then I got to question 5: "How do the seven sacraments, the three theological virtues, the seven gifts of the Holy Spirit, the two Great Commandments, the eight Beatitudes, the Ten Commandments and the twelve Fruits of the Holy Spirit all fit together?"

Holy cow. Before I can answer the question I have to know what all of those are. I'm familiar with some of them, but others, I can only vaguely recall even having heard of them!

I guess I do have a lot to learn.

Wonder if I can find answers in any of the books my wife occasionally shakes her head at while sighing?

4 Comments:

Blogger Ben Anderson said...

haha - I get the same from my wife. Here's another one to add to your book shelf:
Memorize the Faith!

5:53 AM  
Blogger Persis said...

Isn't it amazing how much you "think" you know, until you start studying for something you really want?

I am studying sacramental theology this semester, and so far I am more confused now, than I was when I didn't "know" anything!!

8:38 AM  
Anonymous Mary Kay said...

Lee, you know more than you think you do. My guess is that some old standby's are simply being called by what seems to be unfamiliar names.

6:41 PM  
Blogger Ben Anderson said...

I was blown away when I entered the Church how many different "sets" of things there are. I just use my newness to the faith as an excuse for my ignorance, but I'm not sure how long that'll last for.

6:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home