View from the choir

I am a Catholic layperson and Secular Franciscan with a sense of humor. After years in the back pew watching, I have moved into the choir. It's nice to see faces instead of the backs of heads. But I still maintain God has a sense of humor - and that we are created in God's image.

Thursday, October 01, 2009

Ignorance explored.

I earlier cited one of the questions I have to consider as part of my Secular Franciscan formation.

The question mentions a few things I know: the seven sacraments, the two Great Commandments, the eight Beatitudes, the Ten Commandments.

But the three theological virtues, the seven gifts of the Holy Spirit, and the twelve Fruits of the Holy Spirit? Hmm, time to do some looking up.

The three theological virtues: Faith, Hope, Charity.

Ah, those I DO know.

The seven gifts of the Holy Spirit: Wisdom, Understanding, Counsel, Fortitude, Knowledge, Piety, and Fear of the Lord.

Okay, got me with those. I honestly don't remember ever hearing all of these gifts linked together under that title.

The twelve Fruits of the Holy Spirit: Charity, Joy, Peace, Patience, Benignity, Goodness, Long-suffering, Mildness, Faith, Modesty, Continency, Chastity.

I was an English major, and I'm not even sure what "benignity" is! (Oh, kindness.)

Now, to try to link all of these different gifts/virtues, etc. together. I've got some work to do.

1 Comments:

Blogger Ben Anderson said...

yeah - that's a mouthful... good luck.

9:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home