View from the choir

I am a Catholic layperson and Secular Franciscan with a sense of humor. After years in the back pew watching, I have moved into the choir. It's nice to see faces instead of the backs of heads. But I still maintain God has a sense of humor - and that we are created in God's image.

Sunday, September 06, 2009

Spirit Alive : Read Acts of the Apostles



The Diocese of Rochester's latest installment of Spirit Alive! is call for us to read through the Acts of the Apostles. We are to spend between now and Pentecost studying Acts, beginning this week with Acts 1:1-26.

A bookmark passed out at church today offers the following:

"The Acts of the Apostles describes the challenges and joys of discipleship by telling he story of the early church. It demonstrates the ongoing action of the Holy Spirit who animates the early church and who continues to guide us today as the people of God. The challenges and joys of the early disciples offer disciples today inspiration about how we might live out our own baptismal call in the world.

The diocese has a web page devoted to Spirit Alive, with all sorts of resources.. The video above is one of the ones you can view there.

Time for me to get to work on Acts!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

One priest in the three themed years leading to 2000 brought us a great number of adult religious ed series' when the Pope and then our Bishop called for a greater effort in lay evangelization in the modern world. After we'd studied "Jesus of Nazareth" for nearly a year (viewing sequential clips of the movie, then discussing sets of questions in both small discussion groups and large), the next series would be based on Acts.

I decided to do this study at home, because I had so enjoyed the visiting part of these groups, I wasn't sure I was doing it for God --if I was to be a serious disciple, it would have to come from the right place, you know? Needless to say, lol, that was the last time I worked on my own, not to mention that I was at a disadvantage by not viewing the movie selected for this series, "A.D." I hear it was wonderful (and hereabouts, the K of C had a great lending library of such films), but I did the study work and was amazed to find that Peter and Paul et al were no different than any of us --they had genuine fear of their persecution and at times felt they were flying by the seat of their pants, too, but for the sake of Love powered through it all as they opened the door for the Holy Spirit day after day.

Acts was a gigantic eye-opener for us all, and I benefitted so deeply and permanently from those two series and all the other discussion series' to come, I entertained the notion of facilitating some groups myself when this priest was transferred. Well, I laid down until that silly thought went away, but oh, how I do suggest that such things are needed out here, and that we want them.

Good luck with your studies. :-) I am certain you'll enjoy them.

11:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home