View from the choir

I am a Catholic layperson and Secular Franciscan with a sense of humor. After years in the back pew watching, I have moved into the choir. It's nice to see faces instead of the backs of heads. But I still maintain God has a sense of humor - and that we are created in God's image.

Saturday, September 05, 2009

But did they have to pick a flavor with fudge?

Ben and Jerry's has renamed their Chubby Hubby ice cream "Hubby Hubby" for one month to celebrate Vermont's recognition of homosexual marriages. Given the company's cultural predispositions, such a move is not surprising.

Still, considering the original started as a joke, there's a certain irony here.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Carol said...

Well, fudge can be replaced, but as one of New England's 11 remaining homophobes, I have to ask: Are Ben and Jerry an *item*? (I also have to ask because, as New England's foremost clueless one, I'm always the LAST to guess, know or believe.. A neighbour's old and always-single uncle had a Doberman with pierced ears --Misty was the only "girl" in the neighbourhood sporting diamond studs every day-- and I never suspected a thing.)

9:36 AM  
Blogger A Secular Franciscan said...

An item? I've never heard suggestions of that. I know that Jerry was married - he may still be.

9:41 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

They must have done the fudge on purpose.

11:53 AM  
Anonymous Richard said...

Poor Ben and Jerry... they missed the advise I was once given to "get in touch with your inner Bevis and Butthead" when when writing about anything that even remotely might be seen as sexual.

And apparently, non-sexual as well. I worked for a time for the legal department of a consumer products company down here, that was going to sell one of their laundry products in the U.S. and had to explain exactly why "AIDS FOR LAUNDRY" did not sound right on the proposed label.

3:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home