View from the choir

I am a Catholic layperson and Secular Franciscan with a sense of humor. After years in the back pew watching, I have moved into the choir. It's nice to see faces instead of the backs of heads. But I still maintain God has a sense of humor - and that we are created in God's image.

Thursday, August 06, 2009

Daily Mass

One of the joys of summer vacation is that I get to go to daily Mass.

I alternate between two parishes, St. Theodore's (my home parish) and St. Helen's, depending on whether I need to drive my daughter to her summer job.

At St. Theodore's, there are the regulars - anywhere between 20 and 40 people - who show up most days. Most are seniors and retirees, though a few of the regulars seem to be on their way to work. (During the school year, I have to be at school by 7:30 - so I can't make it to the 8:30 Mass at my parish, or the 7:30 Mass over at St. Helen's. It would be nice if I could find a 6:30 Mass somewhere between home and work!)

I am amazed at these good people. Some linger after Mass to say more prayers. Some visit the perpetual adoration chapel before or after Mass. Sometimes they pray together from memory prayers that I only barely know or need help remembering - like the Divine Praises.

I am humbled by these men and women.

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Lee, Have you checked out daily Mass at St. John The Evangelist in Ridge Rd. at 6:25am?

10:18 AM  
Blogger A Secular Franciscan said...

Wow. Thanks. That might be possible - I take 104 to Webster.

10:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home