View from the choir

I am a Catholic layperson and Secular Franciscan with a sense of humor. After years in the back pew watching, I have moved into the choir. It's nice to see faces instead of the backs of heads. But I still maintain God has a sense of humor - and that we are created in God's image.

Tuesday, August 04, 2009

Offering Up For Souls In Purgatory

Sometimes I'm slow.

You know, the kind of slow that comes with understanding something intellectually, but it still does not register.

My slowness has been brought home again in the last couple of days. I went to Steubenville for the plenary indulgence, hearing repeatedly that you can offer it up for a soul in Purgatory.

Being a selfish sort, I wanted it for my own well-stained soul. (I used laundry references to explain it to one of my daughters - stain remover and bleach!)

Even before I went, I thought of my mother, who died in 2005, and my Nana, who died in 2006. The idea crossed my mind to offer it up for one of them. Then I thought maybe the next time I have such an opportunity I would offer it up for one of them. (You can add in my brother, who died back in 1983.)

Then I was reminded that beyond plenary indulgences there are partial indulgences available that offer partial remission of time in Purgatory. There are various lists of actions one can do to obtain such indulgences - including certain hymns, litanies and prayers, reading Scriptures for at least half an hour, rosary on a blessed rosary, and so on.

I could have been doing these for a long time, but it never occurred to me to do so! (Told you I was slow.)

Sorry Mom, Nana, and John. I will begin to do so.

3 Comments:

Blogger Joe said...

Lee, I received a provoking comment from that OperationStrike guy as well. here is my blog: lifeblog.scrtl.com

1:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

There's a little book "The Stations of the Cross for the Souls in Purgatory". It's about $4 online. When I pray the stations using that book during Adoration, I get a real sense of accomplishment and peace.

God Bless!

8:48 AM  
Blogger A Secular Franciscan said...

Anonymous - thanks for the suggestion.

Joe - I'm now ignoring him, and praying for him.

10:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home