View from the choir

I am a Catholic layperson and Secular Franciscan with a sense of humor. After years in the back pew watching, I have moved into the choir. It's nice to see faces instead of the backs of heads. But I still maintain God has a sense of humor - and that we are created in God's image.

Thursday, August 06, 2009

Big Brother Might Be Watching ... Me!

This from the White House blog:

There is a lot of disinformation about health insurance reform out there, spanning from control of personal finances to end of life care. These rumors often travel just below the surface via chain emails or through casual conversation. Since we can't keep track of all of them here at the White House, we're asking for your help. If you get an email or see something on the web about health insurance reform that seems fishy, send it to flag@whitehouse.gov

Wow. Have a chat with your neighbor about health care and his comments sound "fishy"? Blow him in. Your friend sends you an e-mail opposed to health care and talks about abortion coverage or euthanasia? Turn her in.

What will happen to the offenders? Will there be a list? Will there be payback? I heard a report about one Senator talking against health care reform and his governor getting a call from Washington basically saying if the Senator keeps talking we might just pull some of your stimulus money!

Now thought control that may not be the intention of it, but images of the Red Scare, the Nazis, the KGB, and 1984 cross my mind.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I reported myself. I was inspired by others online who said they had done the same!

4:59 PM  
Blogger A Secular Franciscan said...

Just in case, I'll report you too!

5:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If we finally get health care reform in place maybe you can all get treatment for your paranoia ;>

9:46 PM  
Blogger A Secular Franciscan said...

Anonymous - Was that you talking, or just the voices in my head? :-)

6:16 AM  
Anonymous Todd said...

1984 is an apt date, my friend. Many of our friends were wiretapped by the Reagan Administration for support of the Sanctuary movement. For all we know, Lee, you've already been red-scared by the GOP KGB and you never knew it.

How active was your family back in the 80's, and have you and they been in the files for the last few decades?

12:12 AM  
Blogger A Secular Franciscan said...

Todd, A friend once claimed that when the Freedom of Information Act was passed he got a copy of his FBI file, and my picture (with him) was in it from a 1972 protest in Washington!

I was very active in the late 70s in the anti-nuclear movement, and involved with various activities through Corpus and Pax Christi in the early 80s. But then I became a reporter and had to curtail public activities until the late 90s.

In the last few years I did protest the illegal invasion of Iraq, and have been involved with pro-life protests.

So you never know, my name and face may grace a few reports in DC!

6:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home