View from the choir

I am a Catholic layperson and Secular Franciscan with a sense of humor. After years in the back pew watching, I have moved into the choir. It's nice to see faces instead of the backs of heads. But I still maintain God has a sense of humor - and that we are created in God's image.

Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Maria, I just met a ... barber named Maria

I'm going to a wedding this Saturday, so I decided to stop by my barber's to get neatened up.

I walked in -- and there was a woman barber.

I remembered back in June my barber saying he was going to train someone or bring someone in part-time so that he could eventually retire, so I asked if she was in training there.

Nope. She's the new owner. He retired suddenly.

Surprise.

I asked her name. Maria.

As she trimmed, we talked. She'd had a shop up in Greece, but had to move due to new ownership of the building she was in. Consequently, she bought my barber's business.

She's already expanding his hours - he was a Kodak retiree who worked shorter hours. She does not have that pension to help out, so she needs to increase business.

I suggested she contact the local paper. A woman barber - that's maybe different enough to get a human interest story. I know I've never had a woman barber before.

She did a nice job, by the way. I'll go back - if she can keep it going.

If you live in the Gates area, head over to the Westgate Plaza on Howard Road. The barbershop is around the far side, kind of hidden away (not good for business). Give her a chance.

Too bad I don't blog for Gates any more.

3 Comments:

Blogger In the choir loft said...

What did she charge?

5:03 PM  
Blogger A Secular Franciscan said...

$12. Reasonable.

5:12 PM  
Blogger Barb Szyszkiewicz said...

Wow, no one charges $12 for a haircut around here!
My husband has been going to a female barber for about 17 years. I don't think any of her clients had a problem with it until the shop closed and she wound up working in a beauty shop--which had to open on a day it was usually closed, just for her, so the guys could go there and get haircuts!

10:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home