View from the choir

I am a Catholic layperson and Secular Franciscan with a sense of humor. After years in the back pew watching, I have moved into the choir. It's nice to see faces instead of the backs of heads. But I still maintain God has a sense of humor - and that we are created in God's image.

Tuesday, August 12, 2008

The latest on Dad

Last night, more hallucinating by dad. He saw mom, who died in 2005, plus some other people I could not quite identify (including one man who was allegedly going to hit me on the back of the head). Dad also said mom was accusing him of killing someone, he accused me of speaking against him and basically betraying him, and he told the doctor I was running off with a woman.

Just after the surgery, even as he hallucinated, he would have long lucid stretches in which he could talk with me and others. It's gotten worse, and there are few if any lucid moments any more. They are fiddling with medication to see if that's causing this, or if it's just part of the postoperative "dementia" some patients get.

Yesterday, he was also running a slight fever. That's something new.

They have him in restraints because of his agitation and to prevent him from tearing out his IVs.
He had problems last year after his initial surgery, but this is worse, and longer lasting.

I'm not sure how aware he is, but if he is, this must be so frightening and frustrating. I know it is difficult for me to see. We both need prayers.

After the funeral yesterday for Steve (choir member), I asked Father Steve to stop by the hospital to see Dad if he gets a chance.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home