View from the choir

I am a Catholic layperson and Secular Franciscan with a sense of humor. After years in the back pew watching, I have moved into the choir. It's nice to see faces instead of the backs of heads. But I still maintain God has a sense of humor - and that we are created in God's image.

Tuesday, August 05, 2008

Dad - and the novel

Dad goes in for surgery this afternoon. It's to reverse the colostomy he got last year. He hates it, feels embarrassed by it.

There is danger. Any surgery of that nature and at his age and condition is dangerous, but he has been adamant. He's aware of the risks, but he almost seems to welcome them. His attitude is that if he can get the colostomy reversed, great, his quality of life will be better. And if he dies, that's better than the way he is living now. He knows that there is a chance he might live and be worse off, but that does not seem to matter to him.

I don't agree, but it's his choice. Even though I have power of attorney and I'm his health care proxy, I did not feel this situation justified me overruling him.

-------------

As for the novel, I wrote more this morning. Up over 31,000 words now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home