View from the choir

I am a Catholic layperson and Secular Franciscan with a sense of humor. After years in the back pew watching, I have moved into the choir. It's nice to see faces instead of the backs of heads. But I still maintain God has a sense of humor - and that we are created in God's image.

Saturday, August 09, 2008

Dad in ICU

I got a call after midnight last night. They were moving dad to the Intensive Care Unit.

His heart was showing signs of damage and continued stress after the heart attack he'd had the night before. He continues to experience chest pain. His kidney function is off. He's building up fluids in his lungs.

The doctor wanted to let me know what was going on, and to make sure that dad's DNR (Do Not Resuscitate) directive was still in effect (he had indicated to her it was). I told her he'd made it plain he did not want extraordinary methods used.

She said I did not need to rush in, but the move and the fact that she called me after midnight indicates things are getting much more serious.

I could not get back to sleep for several hours. And the cat and dog were not about to let me sleep in this morning!

I'll shower shortly, make some calls to family, and head in to the hospital.

UPDATE: I was getting in the shower this morning when the doctor called (does that woman never sleep?). She said he had stabilized and was better than he was last night. She said he's still not out of the woods, but his spirits were good and his heart seems less stressed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home