View from the choir

I am a Catholic layperson and Secular Franciscan with a sense of humor. After years in the back pew watching, I have moved into the choir. It's nice to see faces instead of the backs of heads. But I still maintain God has a sense of humor - and that we are created in God's image.

Sunday, August 10, 2008

Dad - steady as he goes

No overnight phone calls from the hospital - that in and of itself is a good sign.

I was over there last night, and all three of the girls showed up. That was a surprise - two of them were off camping, but came back just to see dad (just in case). They are good girls.

Dad is still hallucinating and somewhat disoriented. He mentioned the bugs he's been seeing, but other things were even stranger. He asked when he was going back to the hospital, and mentioned cleaning the back porch, and declared he'd had a bowel movement in the bed pan (nothing there). And he keeps talking about physical therapy and getting back to walking and the assisted living residence he used to be in, and not the nursing home. A lot of this can be attributed to the painkillers and the disorientation that results from serious surgery and his condition. I hope that's all that it is.

On a positive note, his spirits are up - though who knows how he'll take the Bills' loss! (I keep telling myself, it's only preseason.)

(LATER - I went over for a brief visit. Stable. They are changing his meds because of the hallucinating/disorientation. He was asking me about why the ambulance was waiting, and why strange people were in the house and could I delay them until the police arrived!)

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You probably already have, but ask the docs to recheck the meds. My mother twisted her knee, and whatever she was given in the ER was just enough on top of her normal drugs to let her start seeing pink paratroopers invading her living room. Of course, her semi-hippie (semi-old-hippie?) sister asked her if they'd been transported in a Yellow Submarine :-)

7:38 PM  
Blogger A Secular Franciscan said...

The girls and I went up last night. He was highly agitated and delusional. It was distressing. The girls said it reminded them of how Grandma Mary was in the days before she died.

7:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home