View from the choir

I am a Catholic layperson and Secular Franciscan with a sense of humor. After years in the back pew watching, I have moved into the choir. It's nice to see faces instead of the backs of heads. But I still maintain God has a sense of humor - and that we are created in God's image.

Thursday, August 14, 2008

Franciscan Saint: Maximilian Kolbe

Today is the feast of St. Maximilian Maria Kolbe, a Polish Franciscan priest who was arrested in 1941 for speaking out against the Nazis and for hiding thousands of Jews in his friary. He was sent to Auschwitz where he took the place of a married man with children selected for a group to be executed. That man not only survived the war, he was able to attend St. Kolbe's canonization ceremony in 1982.

Lord, I pray that if ever faced by such evil I would be able to show such courage.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

St Maximilian Kolbe is my patron saint. He is a tremendous witness to courage and chastity in a morally ambiguous society.

1:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home