View from the choir

I am a Catholic layperson and Secular Franciscan with a sense of humor. After years in the back pew watching, I have moved into the choir. It's nice to see faces instead of the backs of heads. But I still maintain God has a sense of humor - and that we are created in God's image.

Monday, September 03, 2007

Back to school

I was out at my school today - it is Labor Day, after all.

The school is a private Chrsitian school created by the parents of a local congregation just four years ago. They put up the money to buy the land, did a lot of the physical labor to convert the house on the property to a school, and volunteer there every day and in fundraising efforts.

Sort of like Catholic parents used to do.

We started out with grades 7-12, added a sixth grade two years ago, and are adding grades 3, 4, and 5 this year.

Two of the trustees were out there today as I prepared my classroom.

They told me we will be K-12 by 2010, and will have an auditorium.

All paid for by the parents and their church community.

The school is part of a network of related schools being created across the country. They are all growing.

Meanwhile, Catholic schools close as people abandon them, have fewer children (in contrast, this Christian community actually follows Humane Vitae even though they are not Catholic), are unwilling to pay the tuition, have no time to volunteer and do the fundraising, and so on.

Interestingly, all the teachers at the school are Catholics, as is the principal/lead teacher (me). Seems we were willing to take lower pay - though not as low as the Catholic schools pay! - to work in a family-supported faith-based environment.

Makes you wonder.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home