View from the choir

I am a Catholic layperson and Secular Franciscan with a sense of humor. After years in the back pew watching, I have moved into the choir. It's nice to see faces instead of the backs of heads. But I still maintain God has a sense of humor - and that we are created in God's image.

Monday, August 27, 2007

Amnesty International

I used to be a member of Amnesty International. During my years with them I was not a super gung ho member who latched on to every cause and case, but I did selectively write letters to help victims of torture and mistreatment in other nations. I felt I was doing something good.

Eventually, I let the membership lapse. I had been thinking of rejoining, however.

Not now.

Yes, the organization has done and continues to do a lot of good. But it's new pro-abortion stance is one I can't accept. Torture, persecution and murder of political prisoners, minorities, and so on is deplorable.

So is the killing of children.

A number of Catholic organizations and groups are withdrawing their support because of this stance. I urge others to do so.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home