View from the choir

I am a Catholic layperson and Secular Franciscan with a sense of humor. After years in the back pew watching, I have moved into the choir. It's nice to see faces instead of the backs of heads. But I still maintain God has a sense of humor - and that we are created in God's image.

Saturday, October 14, 2006

I know less than you think

Saturday morning.

Rain.

Could be worse. Buffalo got two feet of snow. Shut them down.

I'm at the radio station, weighing my words.

Three times in the last two weeks I said too much and hurt or offended someone.

I've done that with this blog as well.

It's one of my character defects. I have repeatedly gotten in trouble because I took a joke too far, or said more than I should have, or let what I really think - or half think - leak out through the usual polite social filters.

But I have enough consience to let it bug me.

I'd be a lousy politician - or deacon.

But I am good at alienating people.

A friend and I once joked about starting a band called Pompous Arrogant Intellectuals. We were mocking out all the arrogant traditionalist Catholics who harrassed us at the Catholic newspaper where we worked. The kind of people who look for nits to pick just for the sake of proving they could identify the nits. In Latin.

We joked the band's first song was going to be, "We know more than you."

Of course, we were revealing something about ourselves as well.

At least he was a genuine intellectual. As for me, I really belong in Pompous Arrogant Psuedo Intellectuals.

Just call me Papi.

5 Comments:

Blogger Don said...

I think you are judging yourself too harshly. We all make mistakes for which we have genuine contrition. This mistake may be a point of conversion for you and a call to holiness. St. Paul was persecuting followers of The Way before he became one of them. St. Francis was a soldier before he became a peacemaker. The list goes on. You have been blessed by these events if you care to look at them from a slightly different angle. I like the Serenity Prayer. God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, courage to change the things I can and wisdom to know the difference. Peace.

4:26 PM  
Blogger A Secular Franciscan said...

Thank you for your kind words.

But I have been doing this for years. I resolve to watch what I say, to be less opinionated or judgemental, to be more careful - and I pray.

It works for a while, then I do it again.

And again.

I will continue to pray, and to try. Please keep me in your prayers.

7:13 AM  
Blogger Don said...

I read a story that I like about each time we sin we cut the rope that connects us with God and that each time we repent a knot is tied in that rope to reconnect us with God. With each knot we get closer and closer to God.

Lately I had been experiencing a lot of frustration and discouragement and I found myself sitting in the chapel at Genesee Abbey and then it dawned on me that my failures and frustrations had actually been drawing me closer to God. It was the "thorn in the flesh" that St. Paul spoke of. I have these shortcomings that I lament because they are actually calls to holiness if only I look at them that way. How else can God control my EGO (easing God out) without my moments of doing dumb things. May the Lord give you peace. :-)

11:09 PM  
Blogger Paul Pennyfeather said...

Lee,

I have the same problem. I've turned into a right good apologizer!

That said, if this is about that "homophobe" thing in the last post, you should cut yourself some slack.

The modern American Church demands that we tip-toe around everyone's feelings, even if it means being apologetic for our Catholicism.

To hell with that.

Predatory, homosexual priests CONTINUE to plague our Church and we are asked be more sensitive. Result: some poor Catholic lay woman has to clean vasoline off the alter in the morning.

When has any homosexual group shown the slightest sensitivity towards us? In Toronto gay groups invaded a Church, smeared obscenities on the walls and desecrated a statue of the Virgin Mary. Who in the gay community spoke out against this? No one. The officials investigating the crime implied that the Church's teachings may have "provoked" the desecration.

Don't kid yourself: they'd have us pulling up turnips in a re-education camp if they could get away with it.

You have good blog. Keep it up.

1:27 PM  
Blogger A Secular Franciscan said...

Don - It's not about the homophobe post. It involves other posts, and comments made to people over the years.

Thanks for your kind thoughts, though.

6:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home