View from the choir

I am a Catholic layperson and Secular Franciscan with a sense of humor. After years in the back pew watching, I have moved into the choir. It's nice to see faces instead of the backs of heads. But I still maintain God has a sense of humor - and that we are created in God's image.

Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Summa contra erotica

I belong to a limerick/haiku group in Yahoo. It's a fun site, full of puns and humor.

One woman at the site is, like me, a haiku poet - she has written some nice ones.

But she also likes to write a sub genre of haiku: erotic haiku.

Yes, haiku about sex. Some are of the Song of Songs variety. Some are a little more graphic.

She wrote a bunch last summer, and I joking posted in response:

punning haiku poet
reads romance novels again -
ah, erotic dreams

Apparently that stuck in her mind.

She recently posted that someone had been uncomfortable about her most recent batch of erotica, someone else had teased her, and then she resurfaced my joking accusation.

I responded in part:

"… On the other hand, I'm not a big fan of erotic haiku. Sex is great,
but I think it's something special between two people and I'd really
rather not read about it or hear about it from others. I certainly
don't go around talking about my sex life, and I get annoyed and
offended when others share such information with me or in my hearing.
I consider it indelicate, insensitive, and inappropriate.

And as a haiku poet, I don't like seeing haiku used for such purposes.

Generally, when you post erotic haiku, I don't read them. So I
haven't been offended by your poems. – Lee"

But she has been spewing a batch of erotic haiku, which she frankly admits have been inspired by a new sex partner.

Sigh.

She always labels them with something like "haiku (erotic)" so you can try to avoid them. But of course, haiku being so short, the description line in Yahoo basically prints the whole haiku anyway without you having to open it.

Anyway, being the kind of guy I am (I'll leave that to you to decide exactly what that means!) after erotic haiku number 537, I created my own labeled posting category: "haiku - summa contra erotica."

My first few were religiously-oriented haiku that I’d written and posted before –

St. Rose of Lima's
recipe for vanity –
add some pepper

St. Patrick Father
preaching about the missions
seeks gold for his pot

April morning –
cardinals in conclave
at the bird feeder

Then I decided to respond more directly to the fornication being celebrated –

saving ourselves
until the honeymoon –
wedding gifts

it happened one night -
they brought down Jericho's walls
off screen

Plus, I tossed in a bit of humor –

well-thumbed Bibles
of prudes seldom open to
Solomon's Song

My more recent contributions add a few twists (some perversely echoing the kinds of things she posts) -

longing for release
fingers tearing at garments -
ah, morning's first whizz

awakened I watch
my flesh rise where your mouth touched -
Why did you bite me?

as you approach me
my flesh begins to tingle -
you have a new whip

I don’t know how long this will continue.

The woman is insatiable!

Or maybe she’s been reading some more novels….

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah, hints of Tom Lehrer. I can almost hear the Masochism Tango now.

-p

6:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home