View from the choir

I am a Catholic layperson and Secular Franciscan with a sense of humor. After years in the back pew watching, I have moved into the choir. It's nice to see faces instead of the backs of heads. But I still maintain God has a sense of humor - and that we are created in God's image.

Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Liturgical Weeds (Part 2) (In which I eat crow)

I briefly spoke with my pastor today. He brought up the earlier piece I had written concerning a troubling item in our parish bulletin discussing "liturgical weeds" - folks who disagree about liturgical practices.

In my earlier piece I assumed he had written it - it was in the bulletin after all - and that these observations were his.

He told me he had not written the piece nor had he selected it for inclusion in the bulletin. He chastised me - quite correctly - for saying that he had written it without checking with him first.

I apologized.

He was right to be upset - and to chastise me.

I should not have assumed he wrote it. I certainly should have checked with him first. As a former journalist, I should have known better. As a parishioner, I should have given him more respect. As Christian, I should not have been so quick to assume and judge.

Again: Sorry Father.

2 Comments:

Blogger Ben Anderson said...

Lee,
I wouldn't be too hard on yourself. You made an honest mistake. The article is still troubling and he's the pastor, so he should take responsibility for it. He should also take responsibility to follow liturgical norms. You are right to apologize, but don't beat yourself up too hard.

7:08 PM  
Blogger Barb Szyszkiewicz said...

I'm with Ben on this one. Yes, you are right to apologize for making the assumption (you know what happens when you assume...) but at the same time: he's the pastor. Who writes the bulletin? I'd venture to say that most people in the pews are under the impression that what's in the bulletin are the pastor's words. If that's not the case, whose words were they?

11:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home