View from the choir

I am a Catholic layperson and Secular Franciscan with a sense of humor. After years in the back pew watching, I have moved into the choir. It's nice to see faces instead of the backs of heads. But I still maintain God has a sense of humor - and that we are created in God's image.

Friday, January 14, 2011

Pope John Paul II to Be Beatified


It was a forgone conclusion - was just a matter of when.

Now we know.

Pope John Paul II is slated for Beatification May 1: Divine Mercy Sunday, a celebration which he himself made a feast day.

Pope Benedict XVI announced January 14 that he had approved a approved a miracle attributed to Pope John Paul II's intercession, and that cleared the the way for the beatification.

It came quickly. He died in 2005, and normally it takes many more years for the process. But he was a special case.

Moreover, I fully expect that he will be declared a Saint in the near future as well.

The first miracle attributed to him is the cure of a French nun from Parkinson's disease, which, ironically,m was the same disorder from which John Paul II suffered.

I would love to join the crowd in Rome May 1 - it should be huge. But I won't be able to: Maybe when he is declared a Saint!

Perhaps I'm being premature, but, "Blessed Pope John Paul II, pray for us."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home