View from the choir

I am a Catholic layperson and Secular Franciscan with a sense of humor. After years in the back pew watching, I have moved into the choir. It's nice to see faces instead of the backs of heads. But I still maintain God has a sense of humor - and that we are created in God's image.

Saturday, February 13, 2010

Senator Gillibrand responds

I have been critical of Senator Kirsten Gillibrand because of her stands on certain issues - particularly abortion - that go against the teachings of the Catholic Church even though she describes herself as a Catholic.

BUT

When I wrote to her, she not only responded - or at least her office did - but actually addressed the concern I raised.

Dear Mr. Strong,

Thank you for writing to me with your concerns about coverage of abortion and health care reform. I appreciate your concerns, and I will keep them in mind when the bill comes to the floor of the Senate.

While we have differing views about reproductive rights
(sic), I believe we can still agree that the final health reform bill should do more to reduce the number of unintended pregnancies and abortions, and make a commitment to supporting young mothers. ...

(The rest of the e-mail goes on to talk about health care reform in general.)

This letter is unlike some of the form letters I've gotten from some of my other representatives. It suggests that someone actually read what I wrote. So I give her nod of appreciation. Her response showed respect for my opinion. Thank you.

But I still say I find it unconscionable that one of my Senators (Gillibrand) and my Congressional Representative (Eric Massa) describe themselves as Catholic, yet vote against the teaching of the Church.

I'd suggest they either follow the teaching of the Church when those teachings are clear - as they are on abortion - or that they stop describing themselves as members of the Church.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Blogger ben said...

you know....when these sorts of people say things like "we can agree to do things to reduce unwanted pregnancy's" they really mean, give money to planned parenthood. So that they can 'educate' and "work" to prevent unwanted pregnancy's.

4:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home