View from the choir

I am a Catholic layperson and Secular Franciscan with a sense of humor. After years in the back pew watching, I have moved into the choir. It's nice to see faces instead of the backs of heads. But I still maintain God has a sense of humor - and that we are created in God's image.

Saturday, October 10, 2009

Secular Franciscan Formation Session

Last night was my first "official" night of formation. Of course, I have been in formation really for the past year, attending the meetings and the retreats. But this was my first discussion of the formation materials as an "inquirer."

One-on-one with the formation director. (I hope more join us.) I give him some of my background, my reasons for thinking I have a call to be a Secular Franciscan, my own spiritual journey and weaknesses.

One area I note is that I've always taken an intellectual approach to faith. Faith of the head. The feeling, the emotive, the "sensual" part of spirituality is an area I know I need to develop in me. Franciscan spirituality seems to me to be a way to help that part of me grow. (It might even make me a better poet, too!)

As part of my faith of the head, I constantly get myself into trouble. I think myself down wrong paths, and given my pride, I have a hard time admitting when I have strayed and with taking correction. I'm pretty good at rationalizing, arguing, denying.

Of course, following my head in the past was one of the things that stopped me dead in my tracks when I explored the diaconate.

I told him that having to wait a year for formation to officially being was actually a good lesson in humility. I need to learn more patience.

The next meeting I will join the whole group to discuss some of the writings of St. Francis. Then in November another formation session. Two more sections to read.

So much to learn.

Alleluia!

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home