View from the choir

I am a Catholic layperson and Secular Franciscan with a sense of humor. After years in the back pew watching, I have moved into the choir. It's nice to see faces instead of the backs of heads. But I still maintain God has a sense of humor - and that we are created in God's image.

Tuesday, October 06, 2009

WHIC Catholic Radio Misses Chance to Support Life

As part of my support for the 40 Days for Life Campaign, I had earlier contacted WHIC - our local Catholic radio station. They had posted info in their calendar, but hadn't done much about 40 Days as far as we can tell. We had hoped for a report, or even a brief interview. Something.

Last Thursday, I called the station to try to get on one of the open line shows.

I was not allowed on the air.

Here's the e-mail I sent to the station on Saturday:

This past week I called during the Calling All Catholics show. No one else was calling in at that point, and I thought it would be a good opportunity to give an update about 40 Days for Life campaing in Rochester and Buffalo - an overwhelmingly Catholic pro-life activity locally - and to issue a call for more volunteers.

I was told that promoting local events was not permitted, and I was not allowed on.

That may be the policy, but frankly, I was surprised. Given the pro-life, prayerful nature of 40 Days and the extent of Catholic involvement, I thought it would be a natural thing for the local Catholic station to allow even just a few minutes of air time.

As a past supporter of the station, I was disappointed.

I hope that the station might in the coming days or weeks do some interviews with local leadership of 40 Days in Buffalo and Rochester and help to get the word out to area Catholics.

(Grr, a typo with "campaign.")

Here it is Tuesday, and still no response from the station. Maybe I've missed it, but I have also yet to hear 40 Days brought up. Too bad: A Missed opportunity to support area Catholics fighting for life.

4 Comments:

Blogger Ben Anderson said...

Lee,
I doubt it's intentional. The call screener was probably just following protocol. Who did you email? I bet if you get a hold of the right person, they'll mention it.

7:41 PM  
Blogger A Secular Franciscan said...

Yes, she may have been following protocol, but still, given the nature of the call, and the fact that they took such calls last year ...

I e-mailed the station, not a specific individual.

7:46 PM  
Blogger Ben Anderson said...

hmmm - I wonder if who monitors those? Did you try emailing cac@thestationofthecross.com or the facebook page? They've responded to me a few times there. They're usually up for talking about good initiatives in Rochester - I'd keep pushing.

7:48 PM  
Blogger Gen said...

I have some friends on the inside. I'll see what I can do.

9:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home