View from the choir

I am a Catholic layperson and Secular Franciscan with a sense of humor. After years in the back pew watching, I have moved into the choir. It's nice to see faces instead of the backs of heads. But I still maintain God has a sense of humor - and that we are created in God's image.

Saturday, October 10, 2009

40 Days: Stay the Course

6:55 a.m.

47 degrees.

Drizzle.

I arrive at the 40 Days site outside Planned Parenthood.

I locate the signs that had been hidden, and set up a couple. At 7 a.m., holding one sign, I begin to pray.

As I pray, I watch bands of drizzle sweep by.

I start to sing, quietly.

"Father, we adore Thee ...

and

"All we are saying, is give life a chance." (Wonder how John Lennon would feel about me appropriating his song?)

No one else arrives by 7:10. I begin a rosary.

Dawn arrives. It grows lighter. Drizzle continues.

Hail Mary ...

Cars pass intermittently. No responses. But maybe seeds planted?

Our Father ...

At 7 :25 Rick arrives. He opens up the Focus Center and gets some more signs. He joins me.

He's not scheduled until later, but dropped by early knowing I was alone. We chat for a few minutes.

Obama and the Nobel Peace Prize.

Red Sox.

Music played last week as part of 40 Days.

More than 180 babies saved, including one locally.

Alleluia.

We say a rosary together.

Cars continue by. One honks. Support or not? Unclear. I said I will take it as support.

Rain picks up. Not enough to put up my umbrella - that would make it hard to hold the sign - but steady enough. I put my hood over my hat. My hands are cold. Gloves next time?

I think: I'm uncomfortable, but Jesus really suffered on the Cross to save us. I'm uncomfortable, but the babies we are trying to save face a possible horrible, pain-filled death. I'm uncomfortable, but the women who make the tragic choice of abortion face a life-time of anguish and potential emotional and physical problems.

Thank you, Lord, for this opportunity.

There will be a number of people showing up later. Praying. Singing.

From 7-8, I, and then the two of us, just a presence. But a praying presence.

And whenever two or more are gathered ...

8:10. I leave. Crank up the heat in the car. Flex my fingers.

I'll be back.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

did you sing rock music?

4:47 PM  
Blogger A Secular Franciscan said...

I guess "All we are saying is give life a chance" could be counted as "rock". The composer of the original version was a rock musician, after all.

4:52 PM  
Blogger Ben Anderson said...

Lee,
Today (Sun) my wife, Mary, did the 9-10 hour. I did the 6-7 hour. No one else was there. No one before either of us. No one after either of us. 2 gentlemen (probably late 20s) walked by and said, "you should be ashamed of yourself" after I said, "how's it going?". This stirred up some emotions in me. Then I prayed a rosary of the sorrowful mysteries and everything was put into perspective. I also got a long car honk - certainly not a nice one. Keep praying!

8:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home