View from the choir

I am a Catholic layperson and Secular Franciscan with a sense of humor. After years in the back pew watching, I have moved into the choir. It's nice to see faces instead of the backs of heads. But I still maintain God has a sense of humor - and that we are created in God's image.

Sunday, October 04, 2009

Happy Feast of St. Francis


To all my fellow Franciscans - and admirers of the Seraphic Saint - Happy Feast Day!

There was no local celebration - perhaps because the Feast fell on a Sunday and there's no Franciscan parish here in Rochester. (Wouldn't it be nice if we could get Franciscan Friars of the Atonement in town!)

Last night to mark the Transitus - the death of Francis - my wife and I decided to watch one of our Francis movies. She chose Clare and Francis. It's a somewhat romanticized view of his life - though not as bad as the 1960s Francis of Assisi or Brother Sun, Sister Moon (and certainly not as dated as the latter). I think it's a movie that young people might find enjoyable and inspiring. A pleasant choice.

I also continued my reading for formation as a Secular Franciscan. I must admit, it's getting to be heavy going. I need to ask the formation director just how much I do have to read. Last night I read - then had to reread (slow brain) - sections of Crossing the Threshold of Hope, then dove into part of the Catechism of the Catholic Church. Things began to run together!

As part of the program I have to do some writing. I haven't even started that yet.

1 Comments:

Blogger Ben Anderson said...

I'll have to check out that movie - thanks for the rec.

12:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home