View from the choir

I am a Catholic layperson and Secular Franciscan with a sense of humor. After years in the back pew watching, I have moved into the choir. It's nice to see faces instead of the backs of heads. But I still maintain God has a sense of humor - and that we are created in God's image.

Friday, August 21, 2009

Response To An Anonymous Post

One of my visitors posted an anonymous comment. Since it was on one of the Solanus Casey posts, I decided not to post it there.

"Lee, do you ever have anything interesting to post here at all? Everything you have been posting lately has been either anti-Obama or poetry. I was expecting some real Catholic news and perspectives on a CATHOLIC blog, but I am not seeing that here anymore."

Hmm. Anything interesting? Since this is a personal blog, what I write is obviously of interest to me. Since I get a few regular visitors, they find enough to keep them interested. But I admit that what interests me and what I write is not everyone's cup of tea.

Hey, I was president of the chess club in high school, and I won a letter for being on the bowling team, so I'm used to my interests not being everyone's!

All I have been posting lately is anti-Obama or poetry?

Let's see, 40 Days for Life, my visit to Detroit and the Father Solanus Center, anagrams, the Secular Franciscan profession ...

I will acknowledge there has been a lot about Obama, but then I am pro-life and his policies are decidedly pro-choice. I do take a step back occasionally to wonder if I have said too much. My last post about Obama, for example, was revised from my original draft to take out things that were too harsh. But if I do cross the line, as I'm sure I have, mea culpa.

But the poetry criticism?

This is a personal blog, and I am a poet and English teacher. I've even had a few poems published. I love to write and read poetry, and that is naturally going to show up on my blog.

Real Catholic news and perspectives on a CATHOLIC blog?

Well, again, it is a personal blog, not a news site.

I write a lot about pro-life issues, and that is decidedly Catholic in perspective.

I also write about Franciscans, prayer, confession, spiritual books, devotions, saints and saints in the making, etc. All from a Catholic point of view.

Anonymous, I hope you will not go away. Continue to comment and offer correction - God knows I need that.

But let me repeat: This a personal blog. I write about what is important to me, and my own struggles to be a better Catholic.

4 Comments:

Anonymous The often criticized Richard said...

Free criticism is worth what you paid for it :-)

Or as that famous theologian, Ricky Nelson, said, "You can't please everybody, so you might as well please yourself."

2:44 PM  
Blogger A Secular Franciscan said...

Spoken like a poet!

2:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm sorry you had to go through that, Lee. How ridiculous.

10:36 PM  
Blogger David Marciniak said...

I hold my tongue still
Critics can be so puzzling
Stop not the Haiku

Sorry about that. I'll work on it.

2:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home