View from the choir

I am a Catholic layperson and Secular Franciscan with a sense of humor. After years in the back pew watching, I have moved into the choir. It's nice to see faces instead of the backs of heads. But I still maintain God has a sense of humor - and that we are created in God's image.

Friday, August 21, 2009

Morning Viewing: Discipline Of The Eyes

Okay, so some of you might consider me a prude, but here goes...

I'm an early morning riser. When I want to catch the news on television, my cable news choices are CNN's American Morning, MSNBC's Morning Joe, and Fox's Fox and Friends.

The networks in general have their political leanings, especially when it comes to the evening talk/news shows. At night I can't watch Fox - too conservative and blatantly anti-Obama - or MSNBC - too liberal and blatantly in love with Obama. CNN leans liberal, but at least it pretends to be covering the news and tries to be more objective. (The one Fox evening exception is the Huckabee Show on weekends. That one I watch regularly.)

In the morning, though, the biases are less blatant on MSNBC, and to a lesser degree, Fox. So I will often check them all out. Whether I keep watching a particular channel depends on what story it is covering, and who the guests are. I'll often switch back and forth.

But lately, I have found myself turning from Fox almost as soon as I turn it on.

You see, the female hosts on both weekdays and weekends are, in my view, less than modest in their attire. The tops are sometimes a bit too low cut. I don't want to be distracted by cleavage.

The women MSNBC and CNN don't seem to have the same problem. They all dress modestly.

I've even e-mailed Fox to suggest more modest attire.

No luck.

So I practice discipline of the eyes. If I turn on Fox and see what I don't want to see, I switch.

Maybe their attire doesn't bother anyone else. Certainly by the world's standards it's not too bad. But I'm responsible for my own soul.

Hmm. Maybe I should just turn to EWTN. Or turn off the television and say morning prayers or read something spiritual.

3 Comments:

Blogger Rich Leonardi said...

Ditto what you said about female attire on Fox. 'Glad I'm not the only one.

5:19 PM  
Blogger Rich Leonardi said...

One more thing ...

The anti-Obama programming during Fox's evening lineup is mostly Sean Hannity. (That show has gone [further] downhill since Alan Colmes left, and the so-called "Great American Panel" is amateurish and embarrassing.) Bill O'Reilly is more of a populist than a conservative, and Greta Van Sustern is simply a skeptic. I'll wager that there are more Democrats who work for Fox than Republicans who work for CNN or MSNBC. And I do like Huckabee's show; it makes you want to throw another log on the fire.

5:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm a woman, so I never noticed the "Fox babes" until a guy mentioned it with a bit of derision regarding this sure-fire way of beefing up a station's ratings. (I'm also a New Englander who gets Spanish channels-- I'd have to say the Fox Babes' apparel is utterly librarian in comparison!) For news, I generally watch local stations, which means I see the same "village" that I've seen for 20 years or so--no surprises/distractions there, more like seeing cousins.

I must concede that attire a real problem for those who practice custody of the eyes -- especially at Mass, most especially for male EMHCs with whom I've spoken. I can't imagine what some folks are thinking with the way they dress.

10:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home